Les Presses de l’Université d’Ottawa l University of Ottawa Press (PUO-UOP) is North America’s flagship bilingual university press. We are the publishing house of one Canada’s top 10 research-intensive universities, and of one of the top 140 research-intensive universities in the world.
We’re also the largest publisher in Canada’s national capital region.
PUO-UOP offers an award-winning publishing program of 25-30 titles per year, which includes academic publications with an open access component, a literary program, as well as imprints and journals.
- Our academic publishing program includes 12 active series in the social sciences, the prestigious Mercury Series (copublication with the Canadian Museum of History), and the Invenire imprint. It also includes a portfolio of scholarly journals.
- Our general audience, non-fiction program includes the 101 Collection as well as the Symons Medal Collection (copublication with the Confederation Centre for the Arts);
- Our literary publishing program includes award-winning novels, short story collections, literary essays, and biographies and memoirs.
Our mission is to enrich intellectual and cultural life through excellence in academic and literary publishing for a knowledge-based, globalized world.
Our values are excellence in publishing and research, critical and ethical thought, intellectual integrity, social responsibility, and innovation.
To achieve excellence in publishing, we are focussed on the following strategic priorities: accessibility; equity, diversity, and inclusion; open access, sustainable development, and the Francophonie.
We are dedicated to modernizing our publishing infrastructure, aligning our publishing program with strategic areas of research, and engaging with local, national, and international partners.
Our strategic plan is informed by the following:
- The University of Ottawa’s 2020-2030 strategic plan, Transformation 2030; and,
- The University of Ottawa’s Research and Innovation Strategic Areas of Research.
To assist us in accomplishing our mission, attaining our strategic objectives, and keeping abreast of ever-evolving technological and other changes in the publishing industry, PUO-UOP is a proud member of the following associations:
- Association of University Presses (AUPresses);
- Association of Canadian University Presses l Association des presses universitaires canadiennes (ACUP-APUC);
- Association of Canadian Publishers (ACP);
- Ontario Book Publishers Association (OBPO);
- Association nationale de l’édition du livre (ANEL); and
- Regroupement des éditeurs franco-canadiens (REFC).
We are also proud signatories the following initiatives:
- Coalition for Diversity & Inclusion in Scholarly Communications (C4DISC); and
- The United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals Publishers’ Compact.