PUO-UOP is committed to doing its share to make the world a better place.
We’re already doing quite a bit. We’re using recycled paper and recycling that paper as much as possible. We’ve significantly reduced print runs and by taking advantage of print-on-demand technologies. We don’t print on our inhouse printers unless we need to. We use recycled furniture. We compost. We don’t buy disposable water bottles. We’re also investing in our people – in training, in fair and equitable working conditions, in equity, diversity, and inclusion at all levels of our organization.
And yet, given the state of climate change and social inequities, this is far from enough. This is why we…
- Enshrined sustainability – both environmental and social – as a strategic priority;
- Adapted the University of Ottawa’s 4C model of campus sustainability to our specific reality;
- Signed the Publishers Compact – a joint initiative by the International Publishers Association and the United Nations to further the UN’s Sustainable development goals (SDG);
- Are in the process of creating an academic series dedicated to issues of sustainability; and
- Are working on an action plan to orchestrate our actions and be able to report on them.
We are leveraging the expertise of many sources on our campus, in the publishing industry, and elsewhere to help us become better leaders in sustainable development.