History of the Press

From Les Éditions de l’Université d’Ottawa…

     To the University of Ottawa Press / Les Presses de l’Université d’Ottawa

 

 

1936 to 1946 


 

The origins of the University of Ottawa Press date back to the early 1930s, when professors from the faculties of philosophy and theology joined forces to publish a journal “to promote the development of higher culture.” These professors included fathers Gilles Marchand (then rector of the University), Jean-Marie-Rodrigue Villeneuve (a future archbishop of Quebec), Georges Simard and Raoul Leblanc—all Oblates of Mary Immaculate. With Father Marchand at the helm and Father Leblanc as editorial secretary, the journal published its first edition of the Revue de l’Université d’Ottawa in January 1931.

By June 1936, the demand among University of Ottawa professors to publish their research had grown significantly. This led to the creation of Les Éditions de l’Université d’Ottawa—the first French-language university press in Canada—in the fall of the same year, with Father Leblanc as director, supported by Father Lanctôt as assistant director.

Les Éditions de l’Université d’Ottawa launched its publishing program in 1937 with the posthumous title Le chevalier Pierre Le Moyne, sieur d’Iberville, by Father Louis Le Jeune. From 1937 to 1946, Les Éditions published 51 books, of which 23 were part of a collection—Publications sériées de l’Université d’Ottawa, while the remaining works, less technical in nature, were published outside that collection.

 

1946 to 1986 


 

1946 ushered in additional changes. Father Leblanc resigned due to failing health and was succeeded as director of the Revue by Father Rodrigue Normandin, secretary general of the University, and Father Lanctôt was named director of Les Éditions de l’Université d’Ottawa and secretary of the Revue.

Also in 1946, the Revue—while it remained a uniquely French-language journal—published its first English title, Ottawa: Old & New, by Lucien Brault. With the appearance of this title in the Revue, which continued to be published until 1977, Les Éditions de l’Université d’Ottawa became Canada’s only bilingual university press.

From 1946 to 1965, when the University of Ottawa became a secular institution, Les Éditions published 112 books:

  • 57 in the Publications sériées collection
  • 6 volumes in 3 new collectionsCahiers des sciences sociales, Cahiers canadiens Claudel and Visage des lettres canadiennes 
  • 49 titles outside the collections   

 In 1965, an editorial committee of the University of Ottawa’s Board of Governors was formed. The committee’s mission was to assist the director of Les Éditions with its financial and editorial administration. The committee ceased its activities after two years following a review of Les Éditions by the University.

In 1966, Les Éditions moved from the Centre Catholique, owned by Saint Paul University, where it had been since 1948, and moved to a temporary location comprising two rooms on the third floor of Tabaret Hall—with the attic becoming the new warehouse. After two additional relocations in the years that followed, in 1984 Les Éditions found a more permanent home for the first time in its history, at 603 Cumberland on the University of Ottawa campus.

 

1986 to today 


 

In 1986, on the occasion of its 50th anniversary, Les Éditions de l’Université d’Ottawa became the University of Ottawa Press (UOP). In the early 1990s, UOP moved one last time to 542 King Edward, where it remains today.

In 1991, UOP began a co-management project with Groupe Morin and the University of Ottawa. This relationship ended in July 2001 when the University of Ottawa negotiated a partnership with the University of Toronto Press. This agreement remained in effect until August 2006.

Today, UOP operates under the Office of the Vice-President, Research. It continues to publish high-quality academic research that advances knowledge, mainly in the social sciences and humanities. It also co-publishes three academic journals—Francophonies d’Amérique, Cahiers Charlevoix and the Journal of Prisoners on Prisons.

 * * *  

From the foreword to the first volume of the Revue de l’Université d’Ottawa

"L’esprit de l’homme ne grandit bien qu’en société, auprès des chaires ou dans le rayonnement des foyers d’études.

Inspirés par cette considération, les professeurs de l’Université d’Ottawa songeaient depuis longtemps à la création d’un organe de publicité qui favorisât l’épanouissement de la culture supérieure.  L’heure semble venue de prendre cette initiative. Un tel événement réjouira, nous l’espérons, la pensée canadienne.

Les anciens, hérauts intrépides qui, pendant un quart de siècle, ont fait résonner le nom de l’Institution au-dessus des luttes de races et de langues dont souffre de façon endémique la Capitale de notre cher Canada, voient avec bonheur poindre l’aurore nouvelle d’une ère plus brillante et plus sereine. Ils manient encore le verbe et ils ne sont pas prêts à déposer la plume. Toutefois, leur contentement est grand de constater qu’un groupe de jeunes monte auquel il ne faut plus que l’entraînement du métier et l’audience des élites pour remplir, avec quelque efficacité, estimons-nous, le plus noble rôle des maîtres et des éducateurs.

Vaste est l’horizon des rédacteurs; il embrasse tous les domaines que l’inquiète raison des fils d’Adam cherche à explorer et à pénétrer : l’Écriture Sainte, la Théologie, le Droit canonique et civil, l’Histoire, la Philosophie, les Sciences et les Arts.   …   Une Revue, fondée à Ottawa et héritière du grand dessein social et pédagogique de l’éducateur émérite qui s’appelle Henri Tabaret, ne saurait demeurer indifférente à ces hauts problèmes de la vie nationale.

Le milieu où elle prend naissance constitue un terrain propice à son évolution. En effet, notre ville est le centre d’aboutissement de tous les fils du Dominion, la tribune où parler à toutes les provinces et le rendez-vous convoité de personnes très entendus dans les divers champs de l’activité des peuples."

    – Georges Simard, O.M.I., La Revue de l’Université d’Ottawa, vol. 1, no 1, 1931